Even Though She's a Genius and Beautiful Childhood Friend, She Becomes Careless Only Around Me - Chapter 41 English


 Chapter 41 - Kouhei and Marimo


Once this is all over, I’ll seriously start working out.

With that death flag hovering over me, I climbed from the first floor to the second.

But... are gyms really clean enough?

Thinking about something as trivial as Yoshikage Kira, I moved from the second floor to the third.

My side hurt. Can I even get a word out?

Severely lacking oxygen, I stumbled my way to the landing that led to the rooftop.

—The door is unlocked.

I recalled last week’s meeting.

"Alright, only the student council is allowed access to the rooftop. I’ll give the key to Kamino, so be careful with its management."

That’s what Asamura-sensei from student guidance had said.

If she’s not here, I’m done for. I can’t run anymore.

Gods, Buddhas, demons, angels, fallen angels, whatever.

Any one of you will do.

Lend me your strength.

You won’t mind, right? Hey, God?

The rusty, jammed door wouldn't budge. It felt oddly relatable, like my heart.

But I had to break through it, no matter what.

Might as well take the rust in my heart with it.

With a loud clank, the door finally opened.

“Hah, hah... Damn it... You’ve always been... such a...”

Come on, lungs, keep up.

Don’t give out on me, heart.

Get up, my cowardly soul.

“You’re a genius at hide-and-seek.”

“...Heheh. You found me. You’ve always been good at finding me, Kou-chan.”

“Well, yeah. Like I could go home without finding you.”

“Yeah. You’ve always found me, Kou-chan.”

“Yeah... I’ve finally found you.”

Under the endless clear sky of May, Marimo stood there, blending into the blue.

“You’ve been working for us, even from here?”

“Mmm, must’ve been Maru-chan, huh? I told her to keep it a secret.”

“Don’t worry. Neither Karin, Onigawara-kun, nor I had any clue.”

“Heheh! Really? Then I win!”

“I always lose to you,” I said with a sigh.

It seemed my circulatory system was finally working properly.

I inhaled Earth’s precious oxygen and exhaled carbon dioxide in return.

Maybe Earth, kicked in the face by me, would get mad and cause a volcanic eruption.

“Hey, Marimo.”

“What is it, Kou-chan?”

“To get to you, I borrowed the help of a ton of people.”

“Ehh, and you’re the student council vice president too.”

“Haha, yeah, seriously. Karin especially gave me a big push.”

“...I see.”

“So, I finally made up my mind, but I had no idea where you were.”

“Muhuhu, I was a kunoichi in my past life.”

“I seriously searched everywhere for you. I’m a wreck because of it.”

“You didn’t have to push yourself so hard.”

“I snagged my hand on a nail, and Aoyama-kun punched me in the face.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“...Hino-san, huh? That person’s a double agent?”

“Yeah. Maru-chan’s a bad girl, telling you everything.”

“Hey, can I get a bit closer?”

“Nope. You’re forbidden from coming any further, Kou-chan. That’s an order from the president.”

“Fine, then. I’ll stay right here and shout.”

“That’s not allowed either. If the others find out I’m hiding here, I’ll be in trouble.”

The familiar chime rang out.

It sounded like an announcement from the broadcasting room.

A confident voice followed.

“Hey, everyone! I hope you enjoyed the orienteering! This is Saeki Karin, student council secretary! While the festivities are still going strong, we’re nearing the end of the event!”

“There were no major issues—well, a few small ones—but everything went smoothly thanks to everyone’s cooperation! And—"

There was a brief pause.

“I owe it all to the reliable seniors who guided me through! Senpai! Can you hear me!?”

“So please wrap things up soon! We all need to help clean up!”

“Senpaiii! Keep working harddd!!”

“Wha- Hey! What are you doing!? Let go of me! Whoa!”

A piercing sound screeched through the speakers.

“S-Sorry! Anyway, senpai, we’re waiting for you! See you soon!”

The announcement ended.

“Marimo, they’re calling us.”

“...Yeah.”

Well, well, step right up.

Come one, come all, Gods from every corner.

Here comes the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever said in my life.

Laugh if you want, or ring the wedding bells.

Do what you like, hey, God!

“I’m clumsy and not adaptable, so I’m just going to say what’s on my mind.”

“I probably don’t even know what I’m saying, but Marimo! Listen up!”

As I clenched my fist, the sweat on my palm felt like it was cheering me on, saying, “You got this.”

“To be honest, I don’t know who I like or what happiness is for anyone.”

“But I do know that... you... you’re important to me.”

“I’ve realized that over these past few days!”

“If I were to ignore you in trouble, that wouldn’t be me anymore!”

Marimo said nothing.

That was fine. I continued on my own.

“Would you hate it if I kept looking out for you? If you only showed your vulnerable side to me?”

“I enjoyed it! It was so damn fun! Ever since I met you, it’s been a blast!!”

“I’ve caused you so much trouble! And gone through so much because of you!!”

“Every single day has been amazing!!”

A single drop fell at Marimo’s feet.

Was it a sun shower? ...Probably.

“Kou-chan...!”

“Yeah?”

“I love you, Kou-chan! No matter how many times I calculate it, the probability of me liking anyone else is zero percent!!”

Marimo ran toward me.

For the record, the rooftop is in poor condition, with uneven ground.

“Woah!?”

Fun fact: when Marimo gets absorbed in something, she forgets to watch her step.

I instinctively reached out my hand.

No, that wasn’t enough.

I threw myself forward and pulled her into an embrace.

My arms caught her body securely.

And somehow, I didn’t even hurt myself.

Is that a score? Of course, it’s a perfect 100.

“How about that!? Heh, I didn’t screw it up this time! I caught you, Marimo!”

“I’m dependable, aren’t I!?”

Marimo wiped her eyes with her sleeve and smiled, “Heheh,” just like always.

Then, she said what she always does.

“Thanks, Kou-chan! You saved me again!!”

“Yeah!!”

The festival’s lively sounds seemed to fade into the distance.

Like or love.

I don’t know about that.

All I know for sure is that she—Marimo—is...

The most important person in the world to me.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post


Support Us