Guardian of the World Tree - Chapter 14 English


 Chapter 14 - The Most Effective Method


Just like that, the trees were swiftly cut down. The fallen trees were stripped of their branches and leaves by Dennis-oyakata, who stored them in his magic bag. It seemed like the branches and leaves would be used for something, since they were being collected as well.

"Wow, that was fast, Alfred-sensei."

"As expected of a Dwarven-made axe. The sharpness is on another level. The sword I carry was also crafted by a renowned Dwarven weaponsmith."

"It certainly looks like it could cut through anything."

Though I had never seen it drawn from its scabbard, I could still tell it was an amazing sword. I wonder if Dennis-oyakata will make a sword for me someday? Back when I lived at the castle, I practiced swordsmanship every day without fail, so I don’t think I would have any trouble wielding one.

"Well then, Ridil-kun, it's your turn now. You’ve seen me use the Breeze spell several times, so you should have a general idea of how to do it."

Alfred-sensei flashed me a smile. He seemed to have a bit of a tough-love approach. I wondered what he would have done if I hadn’t been paying close attention. Well, I was paying attention. Anyone would get excited seeing magic being cast right in front of them.

"Understood. But before that, I'd like to try it out once, just to be sure."

"Haha, that’s a good attitude. It's always better to be cautious, like you are now, rather than using magic for the first time in a real situation. That way, you’ll avoid major mistakes."

Alfred-sensei praised me. But I couldn’t help wondering—what if I had just gone ahead and used magic without practice? Would he have been disappointed? Or wait, was I being tested here?

"I’ll just imagine a small gust of wind... Breeze!"

Whoosh! A strong gust of wind suddenly blew from behind me, catching me off guard and making me stumble forward. I hadn’t expected the wind to come from directly behind. Thankfully, Alfred-sensei caught me before I fell.

"Are you alright, Ridil-kun? Looks like you've just identified your next challenge."

"Yes. I need to make sure to specify where the spell activates when using spirit magic."

"Exactly. If you don't specify the location, the spell will activate right where you are standing."

I see. That's kind of scary! If I had used fire magic instead, I might have set myself on fire! No wonder Alfred-sensei told me not to use any magic other than what he had taught me.

But, hold on a second...

"Why didn’t you tell me that beforehand?"

"Because experiencing it firsthand is the most effective method. Now you won’t forget to specify the location when using spirit magic, will you?"

"Well, when you put it that way, you’re right. I’m sure I’ll always remember this whenever I use spirit magic."

"That’s the important part. Learning it only from theory doesn’t make it stick in your body. When the time comes to use magic in a pinch, you’re more likely to make mistakes."

Yeah, that would be terrifying. Casting magic to save myself, only to end up burning alive? That’s no joke. I’ll never forget what happened today for the rest of my life.

Alright, let's try it again. This time, I'll aim for that spot under the trees.

"Breeze!"

Whoosh! The wind blew exactly where I aimed. It swept up the fallen leaves on the ground and carried them deep into the forest, lifting some dust along with them.

“Cough, cough. It seems like it could be used as a smokescreen if handled correctly."

"Now that you mention it, you’re right. Ridil-kun, you have quite the creative mind. That’s a very good trait to have."

"Hehe."

"Hey kid, are you about done?"

Oops, it seemed we had kept Dennis-oyakata waiting. I quickly turned around to apologize, but was greeted by a pile of peeled logs stacked up behind him. When did he finish all that? He works fast!

With this many logs, we could probably make furniture as well, not just houses. There are still plenty of trees in the area, too. Maybe woodworking could become a new industry for the town of Northwest.

But first, we need to bring water to the town.

"Dennis-oyakata, which tree should we take?"

"This one. It's sturdy and solid. A good tree."

"Got it. Give me a moment to gather my mana."

I steadied my breathing and focused my mind. After using spirit magic so many times, I had gotten much smoother at gathering mana. Soon, my palms felt warm. Now I was ready. I’ll aim for the center of that tree.

"I’m ready."

"Alright, let’s go. Here we go!"

"Breeze!"

With a slash sound, the wind roared as it cut through. The spirit magic I cast knocked the tree down in a safe direction. Success!

However, in my effort to ensure the tree fell safely, I might have overdone it. The force of the wind sent the tree flying a bit farther than planned.

I was supposed to have some mana left over, but I ended up using it all.

It’s still not as easy to control as Light magic. I guess I’ll need to start practicing Breeze every day from now on. My goal: wind as precise as a hairdryer.

"Well done, but you overdid it a little. The main weakness of spirit magic is that it takes time to gather mana. That’s why you must always keep some in reserve after casting a spell."

"Yes, Alfred-sensei. I’ll practice Breeze magic every day from now on, just like I do with Light magic."

"That’s a good idea. And don’t forget to keep practicing your Light magic, too."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post


Support Us