Even Though She's a Genius and Beautiful Childhood Friend, She Becomes Careless Only Around Me - Chapter 21 English


 Chapter 21 - Karin and the Way She Calls


I have an incredibly easy time falling asleep.

I often hear people say they can't sleep with a different pillow, but for me, it doesn't matter if the pillow changes, or the futon changes, or the environment changes.

During a middle school trip, while my pillow was being used in a pillow fight, I made a self-arm pillow and slept soundly by myself, which my classmates still tease me about to this day.

That's me, the one who's been assured that "even if a major earthquake happened, you'd probably keep sleeping," the one who's gained a reputation for being able to sleep "even if you stuck your face out of a Shinkansen window," that's me.

On Saturday, I couldn't sleep at all.

Thinking it must be some mistake, I went to bed right after watching Sazae-san on Sunday.

I made the bitter decision to give up on watching Iron Arm DASH and the Taiga drama.

I heard later that Iron Arm DASH featured my favorite agriculture segment, and apparently, they covered in detail the tomatoes I've been secretly growing as a hobby.

Utterly regrettable.

God, that's just too cruel.

That night, I finally managed to fall asleep.

But then, I had a bad dream and woke up after about two hours.

However, my body was craving sleep, so I fell asleep again, only to wake up from another nightmare.

This cycle repeated until it was Monday morning.

The content of the nightmare?

I think it was something like chasing someone desperately, but my outstretched hand only grasped at air.

Hand me that dream interpretation book right now, hey, God.

During class, I was assaulted by an unprecedented drowsiness, and I kept my eyes wide open.

Usually, if a teacher's eyes met mine, I'd get called on, but today, every teacher averted their eyes as soon as they saw me.

Despite feeling down, it was my duty to head to the student council room after school.

Even the door felt unusually heavy today.

...Heavy, isn't it? ...Isn't it too heavy?

"Oraaaa!"

"Nmyah!"

When I put some spirit into opening the door, which felt as heavy as a person, a familiar scream echoed from the other side.

"Ouch... That's mean, Kou-chan."

On the other side of the opened door, Marimo was sitting on her bottom.

Apparently, she had been leaning against the door.

No wonder it felt like the weight of a person.

Rather, I'd like to praise my sensory organs for accurately feeling the weight of one person.

"What were you doing? And, sorry, are you hurt?"

"Nihaha, I'm fine. Actually, I was rearranging the order of the files to bring to Maru-chan."

"Seriously, you're so lazy. Ah, is that the file for the upcoming school uniform inspection? Let me see. One, two, three, four..."

I quickly sorted the scattered files by grade and then by class order.

"Wow, that's some skillful work. Thanks, Kou-chan!"

"Should I take them over for you?"

"Nah, it's okay. By the way, Kou-chan, do you want to go to Maru-chan's place?"

"I don't want to go!?"

It was a question that demanded an immediate answer.

"Right? Then, I'll leave this to you for a while! I'm off!"

Marimo trotted off. Hopefully, she doesn't bump into anyone.

I sat down at my seat and started up the computer.

If I'm not careful, I might fall asleep.

Or maybe, I should take a little nap.

The sound of the door opening snapped me back to reality.

"Good work! Oh, Kirishima-senpai, are you alone?"

"Ah, oh!?"

I could hear my heart pounding.

And now, as the cause of my sleepless weekend stood before me, I felt like the puzzle pieces had come together.

The fact that I had been consciously trying not to think about had arrived.

—I had been confessed to by this cute junior.

"Ahaha, you're acting strange, Kirishima-senpai! What's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's nothing."

Rather, how can you be so natural?

Ever since Karin came into the room, my drowsiness flew away, and instead, palpitations came to visit. Yet, there you are with your usual smile as if nothing's amiss.

Afterward, Onigawara-kun also arrived, and we started our work.

"So, ...do! You... ...!"

"Got it. I got it, so please don't pinch my leg."

"Hey, your voice is... ...! What will you do if... ...hears you!"

"Sorry, I'll be careful!"

...It was a secret conversation.

Karin and Onigawara-kun were having some kind of secret talk.

The reason I can say this with certainty is that while Karin is trying to keep it a secret, Onigawara-kun's voice is not secret at all.

It's fully open.

All gun ports are open.

Rather, the tip of the bullet is already peeking out.

Seeing that, it's unreasonable to not be on guard.

Let's listen carefully.

If I stop typing on the keyboard and sharpen my hearing, everything will become clear.

"Please give your opinion too! You're a guy, right?"

"Well, even if you say that, I'm not good with people."

"I'd really prefer to consult someone more reliable! But since you're the only one here, I have no choice, do I?"

"That's a harsh way to put it."

Yeah. I can hear it clearly.

It seems Karin is troubled by something.

Is it something Onigawara-kun can't handle?

If so, she should rely on me.

Hmm. Let's reach out.

"What's wrong? Is there something troubling you?"

"Eh!? Ah, it's nothing! Please go over there, senpai!!"

—Karin-san? Isn't that a bit harsh?

For now, I crash-landed back at my seat.

I pressed a handkerchief to my forehead.

But, undeterred, I foolishly eavesdrop again. That's me.

"See, you made senpai notice!"

"But it was a good opportunity. You should just tell him directly."

"That's why! If I could say it, I would have already! Can I call him by his name?"

The clarity of Karin's request reached me in an instant.

I don't quite understand, but it seems like this is something I could resolve with a suggestion.

"Ah, Karin, can I talk to you for a sec?"

"Ye-yes!?"

"Ah, no, I mean, we've been getting along better lately, so, you know. Maybe you could call me more casually? Like, by my name, for example."

Karin's face seemed to make a 'pop' sound, and her ears quickly turned crimson.

At the same time, "I'm going to pick some flowers," Onigawara-kun made his escape.

What? Did I do something?

"Mooo! You heard that!? Then you should have said something sooner! It's embarrassing!"

I suddenly wondered about something and voiced it.

"But, you know, Karin. Last week, you said such a bold thing to me. This, calling by name or not, stumbling over such a trivial matter doesn't sit right with me... I mean, is it really something to get so worked up about... Ouch!?"

Karin poked my famously thin chest and pursed her lips.

"Senpai, you know so much, but you're so insensitive to a girl's feelings."

Karin's glaring eyes showed her irritation. ...I guess I should apologize.

"Ah, yeah. Sorry about that!"

"...Can't be helped, so I'll forgive you."

Then she twirled around and, with a slightly mischievous face, said to me.

"So, from today on, I'll change how I call you! ...Ahem. Kouhei-senpai!!"

Somehow, I have a feeling that a peaceful night's sleep is still far off.

Such is the student council room at dusk.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Ad

Support Us