Even Though She's a Genius and Beautiful Childhood Friend, She Becomes Careless Only Around Me - Chapter 23 English


 Chapter 23 - Karin and the Trial Girlfriend


At last—or rather, it had already begun—the Golden Week holiday.

This year, it was a string of intermittent holidays, and today was May 2nd.

In other words, it was a weekday.

The negative aura of the students had been lingering since the morning.

So, am I the same? Well, I’m afraid I’m not, and I deeply apologize to the students.

As I’ve mentioned several times, the club activity budget meeting is scheduled right after the holidays.

And to tell the truth, the inspections aren’t finished yet.

At Hanamatsuri Academy, there’s a rule that says, “No one may enter the school during Golden Week because even teachers want a break,” and this applies to the student council as well.

So, weekdays are greatly appreciated.

Today, since classes ended in the morning, we are frantically working during lunchtime with all members present.

"Onigawara-kun! How many clubs do we still need to inspect?"

"Yes, there are four cultural clubs and three athletic clubs."

"Seriously?! That's quite a few!"

"I told you to postpone the estimates. But Kou-chan insisted..."

"Ugh... Sorry!"

For the past week, Marimo and Karin have been handling the orientation project, while Onigawara-kun and I have been fully focused on the club activity budget.

And before our first budget compilation,

"Let's fill out all the estimate sections first. It feels cleaner and more satisfying that way, hehe."

We agreed on this strange logic and diligently stayed in the room calculating estimates.

Marimo, seeing our efforts, advised,

"If you don't inspect first, you'll end up doing double the work. Be careful."

Although we have been given such advice 

“Even if you say so, it’s disgusting that there are empty spaces here and there.”

There are people who have imposed this stupid idea on an incomprehensible basis.

Despite this valuable advice from last year's treasurer, we proceeded with our nonsensical logic of avoiding blank spaces, resulting in twice the work.

That was me.

It was as if the blank spaces were holding my family hostage.

And now, the entire student council is working hard to finalize the club activity budget.

I’m really sorry.

I feel like this has happened before.

Is it déjà vu?

No, it isn't.

I had completely forgotten about the staff exchange meeting.

I apologize again.

"Let’s leave the cultural clubs for after the break and focus on finishing the athletic clubs today. Leave the numbers to me. I did the same work last year!"

Marimo is incredibly reliable.

"Marimo-senpai, I'll help too... I mean, I'll assist you!"

"What are you saying? You're a strong ally, Takezo-kun. I'd definitely want you on my team for an ogre hunt! But wait, are you on the ogre side?"

"Oh, yes. In that case, I'd be a traitor to the ogres."

"That's right. So, among the ogres we'd be hunting, there could be your family members. This is quite a dilemma! What should we do, Kou-chan?!"

Sorry, really, you two...

This is completely irrelevant!

I understand.

I understand I'm not in a position to say this!

But while you're letting your imaginations run wild, couldn't you focus that brilliant brain of yours on the work?

Flapping those wings just spreads weird ideas and feathers everywhere.

"Anyway, I'm sorry, but I'm leaving this to you! I'll go check on the athletic clubs!"

"Oh, Kouhei-senpai, I'll come with you! I've been on several inspections with you, so I've got the know-how down!"

"Oh, Karin... Great! That's a huge help! Let's go!"

"Yes!"

Karin and I hurriedly left the student council room.

But in retrospect, it can be positively interpreted as strengthening our sense of unity.

Yes, I am really sorry.

I am reflecting. Really.

"Whew, that's everything! All the clubs were so cooperative, it was a big help."

"Yeah, seriously. Actually, the one who helped the most was you, Karin. You managed to neatly wrap up my messy talk. I couldn't have done it. Really, thank you! I owe you!"

"Please, stop, senpai! If someone sees us, it'll ruin the vice president's image!"

"It's fine, nobody's coming to this corner of the ground!"

"... Nobody is coming, huh."

Words are the source of trouble.

Unconsidered statements should be avoided.

But it was already too late.

"Kouhei-senpai! Since it's a good opportunity, may I ask you something?"

"Oh, what? I'll answer anything after all you've done."

I'll say it again.

Words are the source of trouble.

I plan to keep enlightening on this.

"Can you finally give me your answer from the other day?"

"Oh! …Oh."

Let me explain.

As a man born in beautiful Japan, I have my pride.

For someone like me, with the value of seaweed stuck to the bottom of a takoyaki pack, to receive the affection of a cute, competent junior—it's a fact that must be taken seriously.

Every day, I've been racking my brain on how to respond.

There were times I stayed up late thinking about it, and times I looked for equations applicable to love during math class.

But still, still...

I've never had a girlfriend in my life.

I've never even thought about wanting one.

Is that too pathetic as a man?

No, it's called knowing one's place.

I'm still thinking, so go away, hey, God.

I kept dodging the issue, but now there's no escape.

But the only things coming out of me were sweat and weird fluids, not answers.

Seeing my pitiful state, Karin spoke up.

"Senpai, please don’t worry so much. It feels like I'm bullying you! Like I said before, it's simple. A junior girl who admires you wants to be your girlfriend. That's all!"

"I understand. And Karin is cute. I don't think we're a good match. But belittling myself would be disrespectful to you, who chose me. I get it. But I'm still confused... Ah, sorry!!"

By the way, I spoke very fast.

Seeing me like that, Karin clapped her hands and said,

"I have a great idea!"


"How about a trial period to see if I’m suitable as your girlfriend?"

"What!? A trial period?"

"Yes, a trial period! Isn’t that good?"

"Huh? Oh, yes, that's fine, I guess?"

"Then it’s settled!"

Something important seemed to be decided without my full understanding.

"Well then, senpai! It’s a trial, but please take care of me!"

"Oh, yes. Please take care of me?"

I feel like something huge just happened.

What will happen to me from now on?

I regret not having the wings of imagination.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Ad

Support Us