Even Though She's a Genius and Beautiful Childhood Friend, She Becomes Careless Only Around Me - Chapter 7 English


 Chapter 7 - The Yet Unseen Accountant


Recreation, though a term easily said, encompasses a diverse number of activities.

This diversity is a result of recreation's long history of being intertwined with people's social lives. No matter how many types there are, we always choose one.

But sometimes, there are too many to choose from.

Hasn't recreation learned to restrain itself throughout its long history?

It's not too late, even now, for recreation to learn some self-control.

Indeed, our Student Council's agenda today is to decide what to do for the student council-sponsored recreation event coming up in May.

"Excuse me, just for reference, what did you do last year?"

The new hopeful face, Karin, speaks up.

It's very important to look back at the past before tackling such an agenda.

"Last year, well, ah..."

When I looked back, there stood a sad memory, drooping.

"What did you do? Don't leave me hanging like that, I'm curious!!"

"Cl-cleaning activity."

"...What?"

That's why I didn't want to say it.

I made my cute junior say a line like Detective Ukyo Sugishita from "Aibou."

"Hehe, that's the truth. We did a cleaning activity within the school district! We all picked up trash."

"That is, ahaha, quite original... Oh, from the perspective of instilling discipline, um, it's not bad!"

"Karin. You don't have to force a follow-up. It gives me a headache just thinking about last year. I was in charge of the riverbank, but can you hear me out? You'd imagine picking up things like empty cans or cigarette butts, right? But guess what kind of trash showed up?"

"Uh? Eww? Um, let's see, hmm. Oh, recyclable trash? There's someone in my neighborhood who doesn't follow the collection days for recyclables, and my mom was angry about it!"

That's the work of some miscreants.

The trash collection area belongs to everyone in the district, so breaking the rules is strictly forbidden.

It's a serious offense.

However, since her answer was different from what I had prepared, I quietly shook my head.

I reflected that the question might have been too difficult.

"Bicycles."

"Eh!? Bicycles!? You all carried them? That must have been tough."

Sorry to surprise you, Karin.

But there's more to this story.

"And there's another thing. Something from a different dimension."

"Something more than bicycles? I want to hear! I'm a bit excited."

"...A light vehicle."

"...What?"

She got a second helping of Detective Ukyo Sugishita.

I'm really sorry.

"There was an illegally dumped light vehicle. Well, it was on the riverbank, so I guess some bad guy dumped it, but the problem is, the former student council president who happened to pass by said... Okay, Marimo, wrap it up."

"We'll collect this as trash too! That's what she started saying. That was tough."

"Eh? Eh? What about the cost?"

"The budget originally allocated for recreation was untouched. After all, it was a cleaning activity. At most, we'd prepare garbage bags for everyone."

"...Did you end up using it?"

"Hey, last year's officers. Tell her."

"Hehe, we used the entire amount, arranged for a contractor, and whoosh, just like that. I was surprised too."

Even Marimo was shocked, so naturally, the other students were appalled.

It was like being forced to watch a terrible nightmare, a horrific scene etched into their minds.

"So, that's why last year's trauma is still clinging to the current third-year and second-year student... Well, you probably understand what I mean."

"Yes, I'm sorry. If it's cleaning again this year, I honestly can't do it."

"Rest assured. I can't either."

We took a break and drank some tea.

We needed to wash down those bitter, too bitter memories with some astringent tea.

"...Huh? Weren't you the freshman representative last year, Marimo-senpai? You mentioned being an officer last year... So, were you present at the meeting where the cleaning activity was decided?"

The meeting resumed, and Karin noticed.

She's a bright girl with quick thinking.

She's also a bit strong-willed and speaks her mind clearly when she thinks something is "off," regardless of seniority.

I like that attitude of Karin's.

Having a place where the right things can be stated correctly is first necessary for discussion, and exercising rights correctly in that place leads to the construction of constructive opinions.

But for Marimo's honor, I should probably cover for her here.

"That's right, this one was absent from school for a week due to a cold, right before and after the cleaning activity was decided. When she came back, the cleaning activity was already set in stone..."

"Oh, I see. I didn't mean to blame Marimo-senpai, I'm sorry."

Being able to apologize immediately when feeling sorry is also one of Karin's good points.

"No, no, it's okay, Karin-chan. It's true that I couldn't voice my opinion to last year's president."

And then, Marimo stood up energetically.

"That's why, for this year's recreation, I want to launch a project that all students can enjoy! We still have time, so let's decide carefully without rushing. Will you both help?"

"Of course. What do you think my position is for?"

I answered while helping up the chair that had sunk under Marimo's hip attack.

"I'll do my best too, even if it's just a little! I can't fall behind my seniors!"

And so, we confirmed our bonds.

...Well, we didn't decide on anything that day, the topic.

After all, there's no particular change when we, who are already completely united, decide to adopt a unanimous stance.

Recreation matters are important, but the student council has plenty of other work to do.

There's as much work as a mountain of potato fries.

We silently worked through it, and then something occurred to me, so I asked Marimo.

"Hey, by the way, where's our accountant?"

Currently, Marimo is handling the financial processing.

In addition to performing her duties as president, she deserves high praise, but I don't want her to overwork and go into "silly mode."

"Should I take on the role as well?"

"No way, I can't let a cute junior who just enrolled take on such a heavy workload."

"C-cute... Ah, um, thank you for your concern."

But I'm not particularly strong with numbers either.

If there's no other candidate, I might have to adjust to take on the role as well.

"Muhuhuhu."

"What's with that creepy laugh?"

"Ah, now, Kou-chan said something terrible! Caught such a cute childhood friend and said something awful!!"

"Alright, alright, my bad. So, do you have any clever ideas?"

Marimo smirked with a scheming look.

It's annoying, but admittedly, a bit cute.

"Actually, I've found an amazing talent among the new students! I'll bring them tomorrow, so you two can look forward to it, okay?"

Well, if our student council president says so, this prodigy must possess considerable talent.

So, while waiting for this promising newcomer, shall we diligently continue our administrative work?

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post


Support Us