I Reincarnated as the Villain in a Rom-Com, but I'm Enjoying Youth with My Favorite Heroine - Chapter 2 English


 Chapter 2 - The Villain


In romantic comedies, the "bad boy villain" exists solely to highlight the greatness of the protagonist—a pitiful existence, really.

These characters appear only to be compared to the protagonist, mercilessly defeated for the reader’s amusement. 

While the specifics of these villains can vary, one thing remains constant: they show up before the protagonist and commit some sort of misdeed.

These misdeeds often serve as the catalyst for the protagonist's encounter with the heroine, reinforce the bond between them, or help them overcome the obstacles in their relationship. Yet, despite all this, the villain remains nothing more than a pawn, a tool to advance the story.

Such characters are generally devoid of any backstory, designed so that readers don't sympathize with them. If their role becomes more significant, they're often depicted as irredeemable scum.

As it happens, the man I’ve reincarnated into has led a life perfectly fitting for such a villain. My memories are vague, but they’re slowly returning.

Fights, smoking, staying out all night—it was all par for the course. I hardly ever attended class. Perhaps I was smart enough to get into a regular high school by some miracle, but before I reincarnated, I lived as a hopeless delinquent.

In the haze of my memories, I recall my name is Shindo Ryusuke, a first-year high school student. That gal-like girl from earlier is definitely my younger sister, Shindo Mai, a second-year middle school student. Our father is away on a work assignment, so it’s just us and our mother living under the same roof.

I’m still struggling to remember the name of the school I attend, the route I take, the layout of the house, and my relationships with friends, but I’ve pieced together some of it.

However, the world’s explanation that suddenly echoed in my mind, and the foggy memories I now possess—though I understand them as information—I can’t be sure if they’re true.

I need to recall my memories clearly, and I must confirm whether I’m truly in the world of a romantic comedy, and if so, which specific work this is based on. I’ll need to take action to figure that out.

Maybe it’s because of my overly serious nature, but I can’t rest until I’ve confirmed everything. This drive to verify everything has helped me stay focused and forward-looking.

If I really have been reincarnated into a romantic comedy, it means that the bright and colorful school life I’ve only seen in manga and anime is now waiting for me.

The thought of experiencing that bittersweet, idealized youth makes my heart race.

The confusion and gloom I felt right after reincarnating have completely vanished. Now, all I have is excitement and overwhelming hope for my new life.

And so, I began preparing to head to school. I slipped on my uniform, tied my necktie, and reached for what must be my school bag.

"…Huh, I guess I don’t need cigarettes or a lighter at school. I really was a delinquent."

My bag contained no textbooks, only perfume, cigarettes, and a lighter. Perhaps my textbooks are stashed in a locker at school or inside my desk, but there’s no sign of any studying in this room, so it seems I haven’t done any homework at all.

Given how vague my memories are, there might be a mountain of assignments waiting for me, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Having finished getting ready, I left my room and headed to the living room. My mother, who should be living with us, had already left for work early in the morning, and it seemed my sister had also left the house earlier than me. I was alone.

Not feeling up to breakfast, I decided to head to the school I vaguely remembered. I recalled the route well enough that I probably wouldn’t get lost. If I met someone familiar at school, I could start figuring out my situation.

The sunlight was blinding as I stepped outside. It felt like a spring day leaning towards summer. When I died from overwork, it was winter, so there’s definitely been a time shift.

As I followed the vaguely remembered path to school, I noticed more male students wearing the same uniform as me. I also began to see girls in sailor uniforms with cute ribbons tied around their necks.

Before reincarnating, I was a working adult. It’s been a long time since I was in high school.

The thought of reliving my high school years is a bit exciting, but it also makes me anxious about what lies ahead.

After all, the former Shindo Ryusuke had been nothing but trouble since he enrolled. Skipping classes without a care, hanging out with bad friends late into the night, and constantly picking fights with students from other schools—he was nothing short of a problem child. My sister had mentioned it earlier: my attendance was hanging by a thread.

Starting my life over as a delinquent means I’m beginning not from zero, but from negative. My reputation with the teachers must be terrible, and I dread to think what my classmates might think of me. My once-eager steps to school grew heavier with each thought.

(No, I’ll be fine now… I’m sure of it.)

Looking back, my previous life may have been a mess. I lost my parents early on, had no siblings, no lover, and spent my days in utter loneliness.

But if there’s one thing I’m good at, it’s being serious. I’ve always tackled everything with utmost sincerity.

I never neglected my studies during my school days, and I’ve spent the last ten years in society facing various people and gaining a wealth of experience.

That couldn’t have been in vain.

This time, I don’t want to have any regrets.

Bolstering my spirits, I finally arrived at the school gates.

"So this is… Kio Academy High School, huh…?"

Before me stood Kio Academy High School. The campus was vast, the buildings new and clean. The schoolyard was spacious, with athletic teams already practicing on the grounds.

Here, I have a chance to redo the gray days of my youth. I won’t waste this second life I’ve been given—I’m going to savor every moment of my high school years.

And with that thought, I stepped into a new world.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Ad

Support Us