I Reincarnated as the Villain in a Rom-Com, but I'm Enjoying Youth with My Favorite Heroine - Chapter 66 English


Chapter 66 – A Peaceful Summer Day (4)


"Ryusuke, I’ve cut the watermelon!"

"Thanks, Mashiro. Let’s eat together."

Mashiro brought the neatly sliced watermelon on a plate into the living room. She placed the plate on the table and sat down on the sofa next to me.

The bright red flesh and scattered black seeds.

The refreshing aroma made the watermelon look incredibly appetizing, so I reached out for a slice.

"It’s been years since we’ve eaten watermelon together, hasn’t it? It’s been a while, right?"

"I think it was since we were in elementary school. Feels nostalgic."

"This reminds me—back when we were playing at my house, my mom brought out the sliced watermelon. We went out into the yard and ate it together, didn’t we?"

"Yeah, yeah! I remember being treated to it on those hot summer days. It was so sweet and delicious."

We munched on the watermelon, savoring the juicy flesh, and we used to play by spitting the seeds into the yard. Of course, my mom scolded us for our bad manners, telling us to stop. Now that we’re in high school, I don’t think we’d play by spitting seeds anymore.

"Hey, how about we take advantage of this and eat on the balcony?"

"Yes! That sounds more like summer. Let’s go!"

With a burst of enthusiasm, Mashiro responded to my suggestion, and together, we took the watermelon and stepped out onto the balcony.

The awning provided a perfect shade, protecting us from the direct sunlight, and the refreshing breeze made the heat much more bearable. It seemed like the perfect spot to eat outside.

Leaning against the balcony railing, I took a big bite of the chilled watermelon. The scent filled the air, and the crisp texture was satisfying. My mouth was flooded with the sweet, cold juice.

On the other hand, Mashiro was nibbling on the watermelon with her small mouth, resembling a squirrel as she stuffed her cheeks. Watching her made me smile.

Together, we soaked in the calm summer day, gazing up at the large cumulonimbus clouds floating in the blue sky.

"The weather’s great, isn’t it? The breeze feels so nice. I hope it stays clear like this for a while."

"Yeah, me too. It’s summer after all, so I hope it stays sunny."

"When it rains, we can’t go outside, and I won’t be able to hang out with you, which would be a bummer."

"Especially on Sunday! It has to be sunny then. We’re going to the summer festival, and it would be a disaster if the fireworks were canceled."

"Oh, right. I actually have something important to tell you about Sunday."

"Wait, something important? Did something else come up, Ryusuke?"

Mashiro’s expression shifted in surprise, and she leaned in, peering at me with slightly worried eyes. She must’ve thought I wouldn’t be able to hang out anymore, as her gaze seemed a little anxious.

Regretting my abrupt approach, I gently patted her head and reassured her with a soft "It’s okay." Her face softened into a smile as she relaxed against me, seemingly at ease.

Relieved, I started explaining the conversation I had with Reo over RINE.

We had planned to go to the summer festival on Sunday, but Reo and Nishikawa asked if they could join us.

We hadn’t hung out with them since the summer break started, so the idea was to gather the four of us and enjoy the festival together.

Upon hearing that, Mashiro’s excitement bubbled up as her voice rose in anticipation.

"Reo-kun and Nishikawa-kun? Wow, that sounds like it’ll be so much fun!"

"Right? They’ve just finished a tough basketball training camp and wanted to blow off some steam. So, what do you think, Mashiro?"

"I’m all for it! It’ll be even more fun with everyone, don’t you think? And you want to hang out with Reo-kun and Nishikawa-kun too, right?"

"Yeah, I’ve relied on them a lot since starting school, so I’d be happy to spend time with them."

"Then it’s settled! We’ll invite Reo-kun and Nishikawa-kun, and on Sunday, we’ll go to the festival together. Let’s visit all the food stalls and have a blast!"

"It’s gonna be lively. We’d better start planning how we’ll make the rounds."

"Hehe, we’ve got to eat cotton candy and candied apples, and then there’s the shooting gallery and the goldfish scooping…"

Mashiro started counting all the things she wanted to do, her clear blue eyes sparkling with excitement. It was obvious how much she was looking forward to the summer festival.

I felt the same way, and I could already imagine us being this excited right up until the night before the event.

"Oh, and I’d like to wear a yukata. What kind do you think would look good?"

"You’d look good in any yukata, Mashiro. You’re so cute that anything you wear would look stunning."

"Oh, Ryusuke! You say things like that so easily. It’s embarrassing!"

"Sorry, sorry. But it’s the truth. I’ve been thinking it all day, actually. Even in your casual room clothes, you look super cute. You can pull off anything."

"Ryusuke, you’re really unfair, you know that?"

Mashiro muttered, twirling a strand of her hair while looking down. Her face had turned bright red like a watermelon, making it clear that my compliment had embarrassed her.

It was almost unfair how cute her reaction was, and just giving her a simple compliment made me feel flustered as well.

Clearing her throat as if to regain her composure, Mashiro spoke again.

"Um… let me ask differently then. What kind of yukata do you like, Ryusuke?"

"Hmm, what kind of yukata do I like? I guess I prefer ones that look cool, with summer flowers like morning glories or hydrangeas. But is that helpful?"

"Of course! If you think I look pretty in anything, then you’ll like it even more if I wear a yukata you like, right?"

"A yukata chosen just to match my taste? That’s… that’s really something."

Having such a cute girl tailor her outfit to my preferences and show it off just for me—there’s no way I wouldn’t be thrilled.

Her regular clothes are already adorable, but a summer-only yukata would be next level. Just imagining it made me smile uncontrollably.

Noticing my expression, Mashiro gave me a mischievous smile, looking up at me from under her lashes.

"Ryusuke, you’re so easy to read. You look really happy right now."

"W-Well, of course I do! How could I not be?"

"Hehe, look forward to it, okay? I’ll make sure your face looks even happier than it does now."

"If you make me any more flustered, Reo and Nishikawa might tease me."

"Haha, they might. But I bet it’ll be so much fun! I can’t wait for Sunday!"

"Yeah, I’m excited already. It’s going to be a great day."

Spending the day with Reo, Nishikawa, and Mashiro would definitely make for another wonderful memory. Mashiro was clearly looking forward to it, her radiant smile lighting up the moment.

I took another bite of the watermelon, and together, we gazed up at the summer sky.

Both of us eagerly looked forward to the summer festival on Sunday, our hearts racing with anticipation.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post


Support Us