Even Though She's a Genius and Beautiful Childhood Friend, She Becomes Careless Only Around Me - Chapter 8 English


 Chapter 8 - The Inauguration of the New Student Council


“Ah, Kirishima-senpai! Good work today!”

Only Karin was in the student council room, and she greeted me with a smile when she saw me.

“Hey! Good work! ...Marimo isn’t here, huh?”

I returned the greeting with a smile so bright that if I pressed my face, a lively smile would ooze out, and then I took a seat at my desk.

It’s currently lunch break.

When there’s a lot of work, we sometimes eat our bento in the student council room during lunch break, but today is different.

I was called by Marimo.

Right after the fourth period ended, she sent a message in the student council group chat saying, “Gather in the student council room during lunch break! Can’t wait to bring the super new guy!!” and then she flew off somewhere.

I hope she hasn’t fallen and hurt herself.

So, Karin and I stayed in the student council room, waiting for our master’s return like well-trained Labrador Retrievers.

And then five minutes passed.

“Karin. Shall we have lunch?”

“Eh? Is it okay not to wait for Marimo-senpai?”

“It’s fine. Because I’m hungry.”

Even a well-trained Labrador Retriever would eat if it’s this hungry, I think.

To put it bluntly, I’m really hungry.

“Waiting for Marimo, who knows when she’ll come, and ending up not having lunch is the worst-case scenario. So, I’m invoking the vice president’s authority. It’s okay to eat!”

“Pfft, ahahaha! What’s that about? Okay, I’ll join in on your mischief, senpai!”

“That’s right, that’s right, good! Eating is important, right? Oh, Karin, are you a bread person for lunch?”

“Ah, no, I don’t have a set preference. I just felt like having bread today.”

“Ah, I get it. There are days like that. Days when you suddenly crave yakisoba bread and milk coffee. Karin has Glico’s café au lait, huh? It’s classic, but it’s got an unbeatable sense of stability.”

“Yes. I’ve always loved this since I was little. I started drinking coffee in middle school, but I still buy this sometimes.”

Saying that, Karin took a gulp of her café au lait.

Then she showed her teeth and smiled brightly.

It’s such a cute expression that if a Glico employee saw it, she might be recruited for an commercial, but she’s our precious secretary so don’t do that.

She should quietly return to Glico’s headquarters.

“Actually, I can’t drink regular coffee.”

“Eh, really? That’s surprising! You look like you’d suit working with a coffee in hand, senpai.”

“I just can’t handle the bitterness. You know the dessert tiramisu? Even that’s pretty tough for me. I can only take stomach medicine in pill form, and when I catch a cold, I can only drink kudzu root tea if it’s syrup-flavored!”

“Ahahaha, that’s kind of cute, senpai! I’m glad to hear that.”

“Keep it a secret from everyone. It’ll ruin my image.”

“Fufu, understood!”

As Karin and I chatted and ate, a rumbling sound like an earthquake could be heard.

And then it stopped right in front of the door.

The next moment, the door slowly opened, and Marimo appeared.

“Sorry to keep you waiting! Here, from today, this is Onigawara Takezou-kun, who will be the student council’s accountant. Please get along with him!”

And then, as I thought, “It’s quite dark behind Marimo, even though it’s daytime,” that background moved aside, revealing the small figure of the student council president.

An illusion.

“Hello, nice to meet you. My name is Onigawara Takezou. Pleased to meet you... Nn, voon! Excuse me. I apologize!”

I didn’t quite understand, but Onigawara-kun’s impact was apparently quite significant, as evidenced by Karin, who had just taken a sip of Glico’s café au lait, spraying it out magnificently.

I’ll refrain from broadcasting that gruesome scene.

For the honor of my cute junior.

“Ah-ah, are you okay, Karin? Here, take this handkerchief. It’s mine, sorry.”

“...Cough, cough. I’m sorry. May I borrow... cough.”

“If you don’t mind, would you like to use my handkerchief too?”

“Eek!”

Karin shuddered after seeing the pink handkerchief offered by Onigawara-kun and then his face.

Well, his voice is indeed low and deep.

It reminds one of a ship’s foghorn.

His face is deeply chiseled, and he looks a bit like a modest demon god.

But I think it’s within the range of being unique.

“Ah, that’s a cute handkerchief. By the way, Onigawara-kun, you have thick arms. Or rather, you’re overall robust. Do you play any sports?”

“I’m glad you asked! Takezou-kun’s family runs a popular Western confectionery shop! Have you heard of Patisserie Little Rabbit? Everything they sell is delicious! I think, if there’s an afterlife, heaven must be like that place!”

“Why is Marimo answering proudly? I’m asking Onigawara-kun. And don’t casually make Onigawara-kun’s family’s shop into heaven. A Western confectionery shop bustling with the dead every day would be too much.”

I see, so Marimo had her eye on Onigawara-kun at his regular shop. I understand now.

“Um, president. Vice president...”

Onigawara-kun, who must easily be over 180 cm tall, hunched his shoulders and looked at Marimo and me with a subdued voice.

His face also looked somewhat downcast.

A disheartened demon god.

“I have such an appearance and voice, and, well, I don’t think I fit in a glamorous place like the student council. Even now, I’ve startled Saeki-san.”

So that’s what he’s worried about.

“Well, what can I say, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, so there’s no helping the compatibility. But I don’t think you’re unsuitable for the student council. Appearance? Voice? Look at me. I work out but have a frail body. A voice that leaves no impression on anyone. If someone like me can be the vice president, then let’s put our individuality at the forefront!”

“Wow, Kou-chan, you’re really speaking up! Keep going, keep going!”

“Shut up, Marimo. ...Anyway, I welcome you, Onigawara-kun!”

“Yeah! I welcome you too! After all, I was the one who scouted you. Nihaha!”

“And Karin will get used to you eventually, and if she doesn’t, we’ll come up with a strategy then... Oh?”

Karin, who had been in a state too embarrassing to show, tapped my shoulder, back to her usual self.

“I’ve been very rude. I’m sorry, Onigawara-kun! It’s terrible to judge people by their appearance!! Um, please, let’s get along!!”

This time, I patted Onigawara-kun’s shoulder.

...Oops, sorry.

I can’t reach him while sitting.

So I stand up, jump lightly, and pat him.

“See? The world is surprisingly mild, right? Like the Glico’s café au lait that Karin just spat out, right?”

And so, finally, the inauguration of the new Hanamatsuri Academy Student Council was established.

“...Kou-chan. That’s the worst. Even though Karin had such a terrible experience, why are you trying to say something clever? I can’t overlook what you just did!”

“That’s terrible, senpai...”

“Ah, my fault has caused another unnecessary conflict! I’m so sorry!!”

Hey, why is everyone blaming me after I wrapped it up nicely?

Am I the bad guy? I thought I said a lot of good things?

...Yes. I mean, I’m sorry.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post


Support Us