I Reincarnated as the Villain in a Rom-Com, but I'm Enjoying Youth with My Favorite Heroine - Chapter 69 English


 Chapter 69 – Summer Festival (3)


While Mashiro was enjoying a shooting game with Nishikawa, I sat beside Reo, picking at some takoyaki we had just bought from a nearby stall.

The bonito flakes danced lightly on top, and the savory scent of green onions whetted my appetite.

When I popped one of the round takoyaki into my mouth, the perfect blend of sauce and mayonnaise, paired with the chewy texture of the octopus, was pleasantly satisfying.

Yep, this is pretty good.

As I indulged in the flavors, I turned to Reo, who was sitting next to me.

“By the way, have you hung out with Fusegawa lately? You mentioned that he had more free time after the training camp, right?”

“A few times, yeah. But... it’s not exactly what you’d call 'hanging out.'”

“Not exactly, huh? Sounds like there’s more to it.”

Reo is typically the protagonist’s best friend character.

While the heroines orbit around Fusegawa Raito, Reo occupies a different position—he's the male friend who supports the protagonist.

It feels a bit off that Reo is here with me, the villain, at the summer festival, instead of being with Fusegawa. That's partly why I asked if something was going on between them.

Reo’s expression didn’t look great. As I waited for him to speak, I tossed another takoyaki into my mouth, savoring its rich flavor, when he finally began.

“Lately, Raito’s been acting strange. Honestly, I’m kind of worried about him as a friend.”

“…Strange, how exactly?”

“It’s been like this since around the end of the finals. He’s been spaced out a lot, like his mind is elsewhere. No matter how much I ask him, he just brushes it off, saying, ‘It’s nothing.’ And to top it off, he apparently had a fight with Sakuramiya-senpai after summer vacation started.”

“A fight... with Sakuramiya-senpai? You mean the student council president who was always with him?”

“Yeah, you got it. Sakuramiya-senpai, the student council president.”

This was the first I’d heard of it. I never imagined Raito would get into a fight with one of the heroines.

Now that I think about it, when I ran into Raito at the beach, Sakuramiya Miyuki wasn’t there. I thought she just couldn’t make it for some reason, but it turns out they had fought. That’s a surprise.

“Recently, he also seems to have fought with his childhood friend, Himeno-san. Apparently, there was a beach volleyball tournament, and after they lost, Raito ended up making her really mad.”

“…A beach volleyball tournament?”

I remembered that event well.

It was orchestrated as an opportunity for Raito, who had awakened his protagonist powers, to take me on—the villain—and showcase his heroism.

However, during that match, I faced Raito head-on with everything I had while cheering on Mashiro and Mai, turning the audience and readers alike to my side. Though it was temporary, I managed to hold my own against the protagonist.

In the end, I, the villain, had seized an unexpected victory by helping Raito awaken his powers as the protagonist. But I had no idea he and Himeno Karen had fought afterward.

I had noticed the tense atmosphere during the match.

Every time Himeno Karen or Hanasaki Yuna made a mistake, Fusegawa Raito would shout angrily at them.

He didn’t behave like a protagonist at all; his obsession with winning made him selfish and arrogant, and his overbearing behavior stood out.

“I know Raito’s competitive, but apparently, he said the loss was Himeno-san’s fault, which started the argument.”

“That makes sense… Himeno must’ve felt awful.”

From what I saw, Himeno Karen was giving it her all. She darted across the court, using her athletic skills to keep up with the game, desperately trying to help Fusegawa Raito.

And instead of appreciating her efforts, he lashed out in anger because they lost… Yeah, he’s definitely in the wrong here.

But something about all this feels off.

The Fusegawa Raito I knew from the original story was more of a gentleman. He wasn’t the type to act out like this.

He was kind, thoughtful, and always did his best for others. That’s why the heroines grew attached to him—his genuine efforts made them fall for him.

But the Fusegawa Raito now seems like a completely different person.

Even though he’s still the protagonist, his behavior during the game was nothing like the Fusegawa Raito from the Fusekoi I knew.

The Raito I’d seen in the manga and anime was a kind, relatable guy, someone readers and viewers could root for, with a charming, approachable vibe that endeared him to the heroines.

Just as I, Shindo Ryusuke, the villain, had changed after reincarnating into this world, could it be that something had changed Fusegawa Raito too?

I couldn’t figure out the answer. I didn’t have enough information to guess why Raito had changed.

“By the way, Reo, do you know why Raito and Sakuramiya-senpai fought?”

“I’m not sure of the details, but I think it had something to do with his grades after the finals.”

“His grades? He didn’t get first place, but second in the entire grade is still impressive.”

“Yeah, but I think he was upset about losing to you. For some reason, Raito’s been treating you like a rival.”

“So… he’s frustrated because he lost to me.”

“But you don’t need to worry, Ryusuke. Tests are fair and reflect each person’s hard work. Instead of getting mad, Raito should’ve just praised you for your effort. Getting upset over rankings is pointless, don’t you think?”

“Thanks, Reo. I appreciate the support.”

“I’m just stating the facts. You should be proud of yourself, Ryusuke. Getting perfect scores in all subjects is no small feat.”

Reo smiled at me, and I could feel my cheeks relax in response to his kind words.

“So, what happened with Raito? You guys didn’t have a falling out, did you?”

“You’re worried about him too, huh? As expected of you. But don’t worry. I really wanted them to make up, so I’ve been working hard to fix things between Raito and the others since we got back from the training camp. Things worked out—mostly.”

“That’s why you were so vague earlier. You’ve been seeing him, but not really hanging out.”

“Exactly. Because of all that, I’m pretty exhausted. I’ve got the physical fatigue from camp and now the emotional fatigue on top of it. Honestly, I’m kind of beat.”

Reo gave a wry smile. On closer inspection, there were dark circles under his eyes. He probably really was exhausted.

But his efforts seemed to have paid off, as I could also sense some satisfaction in his expression.

“I’m feeling drained, which is why I called you, Ryusuke. Sorry for crashing your summer festival date.”

“Don’t worry about it. I wanted to make memories with you and Nishikawa at the festival anyway, so I was happy to hear from you.”

“Glad to hear that. I really am. When I hang out with you, I feel like I can relax and just be myself. I’m truly grateful for that.”

“If you ever need anything, just let me know. I’ll help however I can.”

“Thanks, Ryusuke. I’ll make it up to you someday.”

Reo bowed apologetically. He didn’t need to be so considerate.

If what Reo said is true, then Raito had a falling out with Sakuramiya Miyuki after his finals defeat, got into an argument with his childhood friend Himeno Karen during the beach volleyball tournament, and now the harem surrounding the protagonist is starting to crumble.

Though Reo managed to repair their relationships, the shadow hanging over Raito was undeniable. There’s a good chance something else will happen between him and the heroines in the future.

The story’s already diverging from the original, and unexpected twists have been happening frequently.

One thing is for sure—by winning against the protagonist, I, the villain, am changing the story’s direction in a big way. From now on, I have to stay on my toes and give it everything I’ve got.

While Reo and I continued chatting, Mashiro and Nishikawa came running over, looking a bit troubled.

“Ryusuke, could we ask you for a favor? Are you free right now?”

“Hm? What’s up, Mashiro? Did you find a prize at the shooting gallery you want?”

“We need your help, Ryusuke. Mashiro asked me to win her a stuffed cat, but no matter what I tried, I just couldn’t get it. I thought maybe someone like you—being a Predator rank in Airex Legends—would have some real-life shooting skills too.”

“Yeah, Ryusuke, please. That stuffed cat is so cute, but I just can’t win it.”

“Alright, leave it to me.”

“Yay! Thanks, Ryusuke!”

The two of them had been playing at the shooting gallery for a while, but it seems they’d been stuck trying to get the cat plushie and hadn’t given up yet.

After I readily agreed, Mashiro beamed and led me over to the shooting booth.

I handed over the money, received the toy rifle and cork bullets, and immediately began to aim.

I see, so it’s the calico cat plushie Mashiro’s after.

It looks pretty sturdy, so even if you hit it with a bullet, it probably wouldn’t budge easily. No wonder they were struggling.

I carefully took aim. I targeted the cat’s head, higher than its center of gravity, and steadied my breathing. Behind me, I could hear Mashiro, Reo, and Nishikawa holding their breath in anticipation.

Slowly, I squeezed the trigger—pop! The bullet struck the cat’s head.

The calico plushie wobbled before toppling backward.

Mashiro jumped for joy behind me, and both Reo and Nishikawa applauded.

“Wow, you got it in one shot! You’re amazing, Ryusuke!”

“Seriously, Ryusuke. You were good at scooping goldfish too, but your shooting skills are just as impressive.”

“As expected of a Predator. You’re reliable in both games and real life.”

Embarrassed by their praise, I accepted the plushie from the stall owner.

When I handed the plushie to Mashiro, she smiled warmly and cradled it in both hands, gently stroking it. It seemed she really liked it.

“Hehe. Thanks to you, Ryusuke, I have another cute kitty to display in my room. Thank you!”

“If there’s anything else you want, just let me know, Mashiro.”

“Mm-hm! I’ll definitely ask you next time!”

Mashiro buried her face into the plushie, her cheeks softening into a smile. Seeing her so happy and adorable made me smile too.

“Alright, Ryusuke! Let’s do the cut-out challenge next. It’s perfect for testing our dexterity.”

“Hold on, Kyoya. That’s where I’ll shine. Let me show what I can do.”

“I’m good at cut-outs too! Let’s see who can finish first!”

“Bring it on, Mashiro. I’ll show you the finger skills I’ve honed in games.”

With excitement, we headed toward the next game, savoring the fun and fulfilling time we were spending together, as we dove back into the lively summer festival.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post


Support Us