Even Though She's a Genius and Beautiful Childhood Friend, She Becomes Careless Only Around Me - Chapter 31 English


 Chapter 31 – Karin and the Bento – By the Way, Onigawara-kun, Part 2


Previously with Karin.

I was excited to eat lunch and headed to the courtyard, only to run into Onigawara-kun.

The three of us, including me, ended up eating together, but an unfortunate mistake slipped in.

When I casually complimented Onigawara-kun's homemade bento, it seemed like I had stepped on one of Karin's landmines.

Trying to escape was futile, as her pressure-filled smile stopped me dead in my tracks.

With communication with the outside world cut off, there was no way for me to flee.

—This is what happened during lunch break.

"Wow, Onigawara-kun, not only are you good at making sweets, but you're also great at cooking? It's amazing that even Senpai praised you!"

Even as I toyed around with a parody of "24," Karin's ominous aura continued to intensify.

"Eek!? S-Senpai, please help me!!"

"Calm down, Onigawara-kun. Fear will only cloud your judgment."

I put on a show of seniorly authority.

"Hey, Karin. How about we start eating?"

"Senpai? I made my own bento today."

"Oh, that's impressive! Well then, let's dig in."

"Look, I think I did a pretty good job. But compared to Onigawara-kun's character bento, it might not be as good."

What's authority? Can you eat that?

Just then, Onigawara-kun tugged at my uniform.

"Could it be that Saeki-san wanted you to praise her homemade bento, Senpai?"

Usually loud, Onigawara-kun whispered with all his might.

At the same time, he brought some very useful information.

So, the root of the problem was that I got too absorbed in Onigawara-kun's Pikachu bento and didn't wait for Karin's to appear.

I see, it all makes sense now.

Now that I know, I can see what action I need to take.

"W-Well, when you look closely, Karin's bento looks delicious too!"

"…Huh? Really?"

"Yeah, really! Look at that rice! The pink character is so cute!"

"Oh, you noticed? That part took some effort! It was tough making the pattern with the sakura denbu! I'm glad you noticed, Senpai!"

Somehow, Karin's mood seemed to be on the mend.

It looks like things are turning around.

"Yeah! That cute tarako! The way you used denbu made from cod to represent tarako, I can sense the high intelligence behind it."

"It's a heart."

"Huh?"

"It's a heart."

"Yes, a heart! Wow, what a perfect heart!"

Silence suddenly fell over the courtyard.

"S-Senpai!! What are you talking about!? How could you not recognize it as a heart? Who in their right mind would draw tarako on rice!?"

Onigawara-kun's remark was so logical that I nodded.

"Indeed, you might be right."

"Of course I'm right! Did you hit your head when you fell!?"

"Hahaha. You're pretty sharp."

"Don't laugh; hurry up and follow up!"

Honestly, I always find Onigawara-kun's accurate insights to be a great help.

It almost feels like everything would be solved if he were around.

"Uh, Karin? That tamagoyaki looks delicious. The color and gloss are perfect! I bet it tastes just as good!"

"…Senpai, do you want to eat it?"

"I really do! I want to eat it so bad!!"

"You're such a helpless person. Fine, I'll feed you!"

I barely managed to stop Karin's plummeting mood from sinking any further.

I quickly grabbed a piece of tamagoyaki from the bento box she handed me and popped it into my mouth.

"How is it? By the way, do you prefer sweet or savory tamagoyaki, Senpai?"

"Mm, it's delicious! For the record, I like the savory kind. It's better as a side dish for rice."

"Wow, me too! Hehe, we're a match!"

"Yeah! That tamagoyaki was really well-made."

I felt a wave of relief as Karin smiled contentedly.

By the way, there's something I want to enlighten the world about: The moment you feel relieved is actually the worst possible time when your next mistake is likely to occur.

Never let your guard down.

This is information based on my own personal experience.

"…Wait, isn't there tamagoyaki in Onigawara-kun's bento too?"

When I shifted my position, the sight of Onigawara-kun's beautifully made lunch box came back into view, and the light in Karin's eyes dimmed.

"S-Saeki-san!? My tamagoyaki is the sweet kind, so it probably won't suit Senpai's taste!"

"Senpai, he's saying that, but I won't be satisfied unless you compare them. Right… Senpai?"

"Onigawara-kun, hand it over."

"…Yes."

Onigawara-kun's heart screamed, "Senpai, you understand, right? You absolutely can't do this! Absolutely not!" and the message reached me loud and clear.

Don’t worry, Onigawara-kun, I'm an honest guy.

I'll respond to your request, too.

"Let me take a bite… Oh wow! What is this!? I've never tasted anything like it!! Hmm? I got it, it's nuts! You crushed nuts and mixed them in, didn't you!? Wow, what an idea! As expected from the son of a pastry chef! —Oh."

I don’t want to look back. It’s too scary.

Are you in despair, Onigawara-kun? I’m an honest guy.

But you know, you’re also to blame.

Bringing out such a creative tamagoyaki at a time like this…

Yeah, it’s partly your fault too. Definitely.

"I'm going to get a drink!!"

I see.

So you're leaving the rest up to me, huh?

Got it.

"Karin…?"

"What?"

"Are you mad?"

"I'm not mad."

"Honestly?"

"…I'm a little mad."

"Did you plan on having me eat your bento today?"

"You just realized? …You're so dense, Senpai."

"I'm sorry! I apologize! I’m really sorry!"

"It doesn’t sound genuine."

"I'm really sorry! I’ll do anything you say, Karin, just this once!"

"…Really?"

"Really! I'm just clueless about women’s feelings."

"…I know."

"Hey, could we trade your bento for my bread?"

"You don’t have to force yourself."

"No, seriously, I’m really curious about how your bento tastes! Please?"

"…Geez. Fine, I’ll trade."

I took the adorable bento box and began to devour its contents eagerly.

"…Is it good?"

"Yeah, it’s really delicious!!"

"Senpai, that's unfair. When you smile like that, it makes me look like a sulking child… Argh! I’m going to eat your yakisoba bread now!"

There were ups and downs, but Karin’s bento was genuinely delicious.

That’s the honest truth.

After a while, Onigawara-kun quietly returned without making a sound.

When I gave him a thumbs-up, he looked genuinely relieved and rejoined us in the small space.

"By the way, I have macarons for dessert. Would you two like some?"

Karin and I exchanged glances and then burst out laughing before we both indulged in the treat.

"Saeki-san, your bento was delicious, wasn’t it?"

"Yeah, Onigawara-kun’s was good too, but Karin’s bento was absolutely amazing… Whoa! What is this macaron!? The outside is crisp, but the inside is soft and moist, and the balance of sweetness and tartness in my mouth—this is like an orchestra of flavors! —Oh."

I don’t want to turn around. It’s too scary.

"Senpaaai?"

Why do people keep making the same mistakes over and over again?  

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post

Ad

Support Us