Even Though She's a Genius and Beautiful Childhood Friend, She Becomes Careless Only Around Me - Chapter 10 English


 Chapter 10 - Karin and Softball


As April approaches its end, the Golden Week holiday starts to come into view.

Our student council has become well-acclimated, with Karin and Onigawara-kun both appearing to work vigorously. In these times when work-style reform is a hot topic, the organization I belong to seemed to be excellent from that perspective as well.

We were unbeatable.

However, even without enemies, the student council's work never ends.

Thanks to Hanamatsuri Academy's emphasis on "student autonomy," the student council, with its various committees, is busy every day.

The immediate big tasks are preparing for the student council-sponsored recreation event we've been planning for a while, and coordinating for the club activity budget meeting scheduled for mid-May.

Both are quite the hard work.

And on top of that, there's even more work to do—it's really tough.

"Well then, I'll go meet with the beautification committee, so please take care of the rest, Kou-chan!"

"Sure. ...Are you okay with all that stuff?"

"No problem, no problem! I'm off!"

Marimo hurriedly left the room, her face almost hidden by the stack of documents she was carrying.

I just hope she doesn't bump her head on a pillar.

"Now, shall we get to work too?"

"Yes! I'll work hard for Marimo-senpai's share too!!"

"Ah, that's reassuring, Karin. Keep it up and make it easy for me."

"Eh? Kirishima-senpai, you should work hard too! That's mean!"

"Hahaha... Well, we have to do the proper check for club activities. You two know it, but let's confirm it anyway. It's surprisingly important to say it out loud and check. They say there's no harm in confirming too much."

My aura of a capable boss splashed out.

The surroundings were enveloped in negative ions.

"In short, we directly observe and scrutinize whether each club deserves the budget they're allocated for this fiscal year. That's all!"

There wasn't much to confirm, and my consciousness was high, but the work wasn't great, and my boss aura splashed.

Negative ions are called negative, but they're actually positive for the human body... I successfully diverted my attention from reality.

"Onigawara-kun, I'm counting on you for the rest."

And with that, I threw the work onto my subordinate.

If it were me, I wouldn't like such a boss, so I remind myself to reflect on my own actions.

Little did I know, you can't escape reality.

"Today's club activities to inspect are the softball and football clubs. The softball club, with only nine members and no notable achievements, might have an excessively calculated budget. On the other hand, the football club made it to the top eight in last year's prefectural tournament, so they've applied for an increased budget for further improvement in practice this fiscal year. Personally, I think the football club's application is appropriate. However..."

I took over Onigawara-kun's line and concluded.

"The softball club is suspicious! So, we should go to the softball club first!"

Even though Onigawara-kun's line was already conclusive, it shouldn't be said out loud.

The truth sometimes hurts people.

"Then, let's start with the softball club, senpai and me!"

"Please do. Since the softball club is all female members, I'll wait in the student council room. I don't want to scare them."

"Don't be so down on yourself. But well, we can't leave the student council room empty. So, I'll leave Onigawara-kun in charge of house-sitting!"

"Understood. Both of you, take care."

"Yes! Then senpai, let's go!"

This whole scene, would it have worked out even without you? I thought, but it's not something to say out loud.

In most cases, when the atmosphere is like that, the person themselves is aware of it.

If you understand, respond, hey, God.

To conclude, the softball club was guilty.

It wasn't that they were insincere or inactive, but with eight members graduating and only one new member joining, it was impossible to maintain the current budget.

Of course, I really wanted them to try hard.

But bringing personal feelings into work compromises fairness and sets a bad example for other clubs.

"It's a shame. I could really feel their enthusiasm, so I feel somewhat sorry..."

Karin, sympathizing with the softball club as if it were her own matter.

"That's true, but the budget is limited. I totally understand how you feel, Karin, but this is just how it is. Well, as Onigawara-kun's estimate says, we should cut it by 30%."

"That's right... Huh. This is quite a tough job. I'll record it then."

As Karin said this and looked down at her notebook, it happened.

Just as I thought I heard a crisp sound from the ground, a voice that sounded almost like a scream followed, "Watch out!"

When people hear "watch out," they instinctively turn towards the source, which is thought to be closely related to a defense instinct, but there was no time to ponder that.

The softball was rapidly closing the distance between us.

It wasn't as if they were seeking revenge for having their budget cut, but that lethal ball was now baring its fangs, ready to strike the defenseless Karin.

Even in such times, I, Kirishima Kouhei, do not panic.

Let's not forget.

I'm the man who takes on Marimo's risk management every day.

In terms of quick judgment, there's no one in the academy who can match me.

"Kyah!? Eh, senpai!?"

First, I silently pulled Karin's body towards me.

It's a breach of manners towards a young lady, but in this case, calling out might cause confusion and increase the danger.

That completes step one.

And what's more, the next step is the last.

Simply and easily, catch the oncoming ball with a backhand, and all is resolved.

Just like that, nonchalantly.

"Osshaberaaaaaahyuuuuun"

That was my voice when the ball hit my back directly.

When people are truly in pain, they utter incomprehensible words.

If you think it's a lie, I invite you to check.

Leave the batting to me.

"Se-senpai, are you okay!? Kirishima-senpai!!"

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine, fine. Oof. Karin, are you okay? Ahyun."

"I'm fine! Senpai, you did that for me..."

"N-nothing. This is nothing, totally, easy. As long as Karin is safe, that's all that matters, ohyuu."

In my head, I had a simulation of making an Ichiro-like back catch and receiving cheers from all over the ground, but life is unpredictable.

You should have predicted your athletic ability, but I can't hear that voice.

I've just developed a protagonist-like hearing impairment typical of romantic comedies.

In the end, we had to cut the inspection short and return to the student council room.

...Leaning on Karin's shoulder. How pathetic.

On the way back, she said softly.

"Senpai."

"What is it? Ah, do I smell?"

"Hehe, no. ...You were cool. Just now, senpai. Very much so."

As usual, Karin seemed to have a unique set of values.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post


Support Us